The remote industry is thriving. That is a fact. But what is rising more? Supply or demand? Remote jobs or remote workers? Are there platforms? What is the most important new job? This post will answer that.
If you are curios what the remote industry is, have a look at my blog post ‘Was ist Remote Work, ein Digitaler Nomade oder ein remote-first Unternehmen?‘. If you are still wondering why so many people are talking about remote work, just read this: ‘The Ultimate List of Remote Work Pros and Cons‘.
I would summarize the status of the remote industry as follows:
- there are lots of willing workers (this is also shown by many surveys, i.e. ‘State of the American Workplace Report 2017‘ by Gallup)
- we have now all technological possibilities for collaboration (and the future will bring cheaper virtual reality devices on top)
- there are best practices and knowledge bases
- we have not enough job offers and career opportunities / too less long-time engagements, mostly gigs (the quality and diversity of jobs should be the same as with on-site jobs)
Lets have a closer look at the knowledge bases associated with remote work. They are a little scattered over the following fields with often overlapping topics:
- Freelancing Communities and Gig-economies Task Searching Websites
i.e. Upwork, Freelancer.com, Guru
- Flexible Job Searching Websites and Events
i.e. Flexjobs, We work remotely, Transformify, TelePloy, Remote Work Hub, DropUrPin
- Co-working and -living Scene and Events
i.e. Coliving, Nomad Pass, Wolfhouse
- Working from Home Communities
i.e. #wfhchat from @wfhftw on Twitter
- Software Providers
i.e. HiveDesk, Buffer, Trello, Wrike
- Digital Nomad Communities and Blogs
i.e. Remote Year, The Remote Trip, Digital Nomad Survey, Digital Nomad Girls, Coworkations
- Travel Communities and Blogs
i.e. The Crowded Planet, Bucket List Journey, Across Land & Sea
- Passive Income Advisers
i.e. Digital Nomad Conference DNX, 7in7, The TRaD Works Forum
- Remote Work Consultants
i.e. Kristin and Nick Messina of YonderWork, blend me
Remote Work Consultants
What is this new job about? These consultants are advising people who want to work remotely, what kind of skills they need, which hard- and software they will need and how to find a job. But, they are also advising managers to enhance their traditional companies with remote work. That goes from letting people work from home some days, over changing companies culture, processes and tool all over to creating new teams or divisions which are completely remote.
Exactly with that, the remote work consultants are able to increase the number of remote positions, are spreading the word of remote work to more industries and are lobbying for remote work in our complete society including local and global politics. So that is the most important new job about remote work.
And because these consultants are gathering all the knowledge over remote work, they can establish the missing overall platforms for remote work, which will combine the important topics from the long list above.
The listed examples can never be complete. Did I miss an important service? Or am I wrong with my argumentation? Please let us know in the comments section.